Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Swimming and my Blooming Business!

Wow! SO much has happened since I last posted.

This is the exciting story so far...

I made a jug during the school holidays and because my passion is birds and flowers I put a little Gorgeous Bushrike on the top (in sculptural form) and in detail on the front.

After the final glaze firing, I posted a picture on Instagram and my personal Facebook page. From that one vintage jug - I got so many orders that it has turned into a little business!

I am so excited to share my journey on my blog!

I have added many more pieces to my range and created a website. You can go take a look at my work at shirleyceramics.com

I have posted all over South Africa and to Australia and France! So exciting! I have just got an order from a friend in Spain.

I want to blog my progress to share my love and passion for birds and flowers and also the slow but wonderful craft of clay and handmade and handpainted.

My pictures and thoughts will also be of my daily life as I swim everyday in a beautiful Tidal Pool just 15 minutes from my house.

I am also  a full time Mom to two teenage girls which is wonderful but it can be very overwhelming and stressful at times.

I hope you enjoy coming on this journey with me as I share my thoughts and pictures of life as a Mom and potter.

Please comment and share your thoughts about motherhood, creativity for the soul or even just to say "Hi"


This is Dalebrook pool - where I go every morning to swim! It ismy "happy place" and absolute  bliss!! 



My work and some of my orders ready to "fly " to their new homes! 



These are my little bowls with pressed ferns and local fynbos from Cape Town, South Africa 


I use the Roberts bird book to get accurate detail and colours when painting the birds. 


The Gorgeous Bushrike and King Protea Butter Dish 



One of my favourite orders for a customer is this Kingfisher jug. 
It is the beautiful blue Malachite Kingfisher and the stunning Pied Kingfisher 

Have a wonderful day! 

Shirley xx 

1 comment: